RECIPE : OVERNIGHT OATS

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hello! Sorry for being away from this blog recently but school has recently started and it's been pretty busy! However, today I'll be sharing a little breakfast recipe of mine that is really easy to make. Now, even when I'm rushed in the morning, I can still have my most important meal of the day!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1/2 cup of milk (you can use any kind you want; I usually use full cream)
  • 1/2 banana (you can use 1/2 cup of yoghurt)
  • 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 Tbsp honey
  • Sultanas, frozen berries, cinnamon.. Basically any toppings you want!

Method:
  1. Mash up your banana.
  1. Combine your oats, milk and mashed banana together and stir. I usually have my oats in a mason jar so it's easier to transport but you can use anything you wish.
  1. Now add in your chia seeds and honey. You can change the amount of chia seeds and honey as you wish; I usually just eye it. If you want, you can add a dash of cinnamon and sultanas in now too.
  1. Stir till all your ingredients are combined and either wrap it up in cling wrap if it's in a bowl or put your lid on your jar.
  1. Put it in the fridge and leave it overnight to thicken.

In the morning, I generally microwave it for about 30 seconds and then put some berries, sultanas and yoghurt. You can use anything really!

Notes:
The ratio is about 1:1:1 for oats, milk and the banana but you can definitely change it if you like your oats thicker or thinner. I would add less milk, more oats and more chia seeds for thicker oats and more milk for thinner oats. This recipe will produce quite thick oats so keep that in mind!
Also, this recipe is very versatile. If you don't need to use the chia seeds or honey and there are heaps of other alternatives like flaxseed or vanilla essence (I would use maximum of one teaspoon for the vanilla essence).

Health Benefits of Chia seeds:
They are considered a 'superfood' and I'm obsessed. I love how it expands and the texture changes after being in water. Chia Seeds are high in Omega 3 which is essential for brain health. It's not as easy to digest as fish but it doesn't have a fishy taste. Chia seeds are also packed with fiber which helps bowel function, lower cholesterol and controls blood glucose levels. It's filled with nutrients and vitamins like calcium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin D.

That's all from me today! I hope you enjoyed this little recipe and try it out soon!
What's your favourite quick breakfasts? Tell me below!

No comments: